Wednesday, March 25, 2009

the "power" of Polartec® (aka fleece)


most people have experienced some type of fleece/polar fleece/polartec clothing in the past. Polartec is truly spectacular given the insulation it provides for so little weight.  it was invented in the 80s by Malden Mills and evidently Time magazine called it one of the great inventions of the 20th century.

to me, it is one of the most amazing materials i've ever used.  imagine a recycled polyester fabric that is warm, ultra lightweight, ultra quick drying (nearly dry straight out of the washer) and still provides insulation when wet.  i can't stop raving about it. :)

altho I did have my trusty polartec jacket, i had always wanted a blanket however paying $60+ was a little pricey.  one day a buddy told me that I could polartec sheets online, direct from the mfger at ~half price.  now i could make my own blankets.  WOW!  jackets were cool but blankets are equally incredible.  check out the store.

think about polartec sheets, almost as light as air and of pure warmth   

so if anyone ever wants to check out my collection of polartec jackets (100, 200, 300, thermal pro Regulator*...) or blankets (100-300 + "Regulator-like.") let me know. :)

ADDENDUM: 
my favorite fleece items:
  • polartec 300 blanket - for those cold northern cal nites - a 300 does wonders.  super warm.
  • polartec 200 blanket - medium weight for most of the year
  • my cookie monster blue Patagonia R2 jacket - Regular R2 provides comparable warmth as polartec 200 but in a animal hair finish.  
  • North Face Denali polartec 300 jacket - semi-retired but it served me well over the years
  *Regulator - Patagonia exclusive fabric which they developed w/ Malden Mills

No comments:

Post a Comment